In usage almost 99% of the companies computers, the Windows operating system have huge evidence of its fragility in the protection of malware and spyware, which are easily installed and replicated through many machines in the work environment (Chris Hoffman, 2016).
As a security solution blocking methods including blocking websites, and monitoring the computer activity can be effective in the manner the company evicts to be the spy or even to suffer hacker attacks. I do personally believe most of the blocking are not methods to disallow the usage of the internet, but for sure to improve the security of such companies.
In order to provide access to blocking and internet security some type of products are available such as:
- Squid – a tool which can be used to block or to improve the internet availability through cache (Squid, 2017);
- Task monitoring software;
- Blocking downloading websites, torrents, porn websites may allow computers to have more security, and evict the heavy workload of replacing and reinstalling the operating system very often;
- Blocking some retard culture websites may reduce the loss of interest of the employee in the work it is meant to do;
- Depending on the quantity and what kind of website is blocked by the company, the employee may feel the company doesn’t have trust in his ethical and moral behavior;
- Many resources are spent to produce this kind of security in companies, employees should be contracted to work on that, software needs to be acquired to that;
Based on my experience and cultural factors, the possibility of measuring the employee productivity having reports and feedback based on every ones productivity doesn’t seem to work well, since the gap in the IT professionals and the difficult to contract professionals may give these professionals somehow a sense of comfort, based on the principle of “if we leave, who is going to do the work”. But of course, this is a cultural aspect that happens in my country since it is difficult to contract IT professionals (Novais, A. 2012).
Chris Hoffman, 2016. Why Windows Has More Viruses than Mac and Linux. [Online] Available at: https://www.howtogeek.com/141944/htg-explains-why-windows-has-the-most-viruses. [Accessed 02 September 2017].
Squid, 2017. Squid: Optimising Web Delivery. [Online] Available at: http://www.squid-cache.org. [Accessed 02 September 2017].
Novais A.. 2012. Professional Shortage in Brazil. [ONLINE] Available at: http://thebrazilbusiness.com/article/professional-shortage-in-brazil. [Accessed 3 September 2017].